There are some really basic steps that all car owners should take to maintain the look and function of their vehicle. But when you live near the ocean, there are a few added things you need to be aware of. It’s common for vehicles to suffer from salt water corrosion, and this can cause major damage if you don’t know how to prevent it.
Here, we discuss some of the most important steps you need to take if you live by the sea, to ensure your car stays in great shape.
But firstly, let’s talk about what can cause corrosion
Here are a few things that can really do damage to your car, and even your home:
- Sea air
- Industrial pollution
- Moisture and high temperatures
It’s not just about how corrosion affects the outside of your vehicle either. Things like salt air from the ocean can also cause damage to inside the motor of your vehicle because rust can form which will effect how your engine runs.
So how do you care for your car if you live in a coastal area?
- Wash your car once a week – also make sure you wash the underneath as well. To clean underneath some people use a sprinkler to put under the car and turn it on full speed, moving it to make sure it cleans in all of the nooks and crannies.
- Finish off the cleaning process by using a preventative product that is specifically designed to protect your car from rust and corrosion (prevention is always better than a cure).
- Using wax on your car will also help to protect it from the elements.
- Take the time to inspect your car on a regular basis to detect any rust that may be appearing. The sooner you notice signs of corrosion, you can treat it before it gets out of hand.
- Clean your tyres thoroughly to remove any residue, grime and salt that may have accumulated.
- Keep your car covered with a car cover if outdoors for a long period of time.
- When possible, park your car in the garage or covered area.
Looking after your car when you live in a coastal area is all about being diligent. After all, you can’t make a car insurance claim if you car becomes rusty when you live right by the beach so take the time out to make sure you don’t find yourself having to deal with a rust problem, that is hard to get rid of.
And remember, you won’t be able to make a claim either on your home insurance if you find that metal railings haven’t been properly protected from the elements and they become rusty and brittle. Buy the right protective agents to ensure your car and your home isn’t affected by salt water corrosion.